Theme development (#6) - LtStatusImg (#106) - Message List

LtStatusImg
 solved

Hello,

For Yam 2.5 and 2.6, I've re-drawn some of the images to be used together with Thore's Empty theme. (See LtStatusImg.lha - Light Status Images, for details and reason.)

My Amiga then died and I had to use Evolution on Linux in the meantime.

I have an Amiga again (X1000, OS4.1u6), and I've tried Yam 2.8p1 with my old settings. Everything is loaded as expected, except that NO images are shown (?) (The status images for the Empty theme are simple IFF ILBM ones.)

Did I forgot something to configure in my new installation ? Has support for IFF images been dropped (???) or the theme config has changed since Yam 2.6 ?

• Message #384

Has support for IFF images been dropped (???) or the theme config has changed since Yam 2.6 ?

YAM neither supports one specific file format nor does it reject one. It solely uses the datatypes system and hence supports any image format that is supported by this system.

Check your .theme file. The first line should be "YTH2 - YAM Theme" with "2" being the version. Anything less will be rejected.

For your LtStatusImage theme I'd suggest to not copy it over the empty theme, but to create a full featured theme with preview image and separate .theme file.

• Message #385

Check your .theme file. The first line should be "YTH2 - YAM Theme" with "2" being the version. Anything less will be rejected.

Hm, the themes provided with Yam 2.8p1 have all "YTH1". Anyway, with "YTH1" or "YTH2", the Empty is correctly loaded, but none of my status images are shown (they were with Yam 2.6 on OS3.9).

For your LtStatusImage theme I'd suggest to not copy it over the empty theme, but to create a full featured theme with preview image and separate .theme file.

Ok, I'll make a standalone theme. But I can't do that right now as the images are not displayed.

• Message #386

Hm, the themes provided with Yam 2.8p1 have all "YTH1".

Then you did not install YAM 2.8p1 using the supplied installer script, or at least you skipped copying the themes. All themes distributed with 2.8p1 definitely are version 2.

Anyway, with "YTH1" or "YTH2", the Empty is correctly loaded, but none of my status images are shown (they were with Yam 2.6 on OS3.9).

Ok, I'll make a standalone theme. But I can't do that right now as the images are not displayed.

Did you name the images correctly and did you place them in the appropriate subdirectories?

• Message #387

Hm, the themes provided with Yam 2.8p1 have all "YTH1".

Then you did not install YAM 2.8p1 using the supplied installer script, or at least you skipped copying the themes. All themes distributed with 2.8p1 definitely are version 2.

The first time I started Yam on my new X1000 was the version supplied with OS4.1up6. I was immediately warned that a new version of Yam was available, and I installed it over the existing installation (Sys:Internet/Yam). Maybe the themes were not overwritten in the process ?

Did you name the images correctly and did you place them in the appropriate subdirectories?

I guess so. I haven't changed the names since then. For example: status -> status_unread

The original .theme is the one from your empty theme. I also tried to add "IgnoreMissingImages = Y", but this does not help.

• Message #389

The first time I started Yam on my new X1000 was the version supplied with OS4.1up6. I was immediately warned that a new version of Yam was available, and I installed it over the existing installation (Sys:Internet/Yam). Maybe the themes were not overwritten in the process ?

That depends on how you installed the new version. Did you just copy over the executable or did you run the Installer script?

• Message #391

That depends on how you installed the new version. Did you just copy over the executable or did you run the Installer script?

It was with the installer script. I have not copied files by hands.

• Message #388

I've just checked the MagicWB_reduced theme, and I wondering if it's worth it to build another "light" theme.

I can't test that theme on 68k Amiga anymore, but if MagicWB_reduced does the trick of having Yam loading faster on 68k while still showing the informative images (status), then all is fine. No need to create another theme.

Did you have feedback from 68k users about the MagicWB_reduced theme ?

For LtStatusImg.lha, I can see on Aminet there WAS interests for that package. But probably now it's not as usefull since Yam 2.7/2.8 (?)

• Message #390

I can't test that theme on 68k Amiga anymore, but if MagicWB_reduced does the trick of having Yam loading faster on 68k while still showing the informative images (status), then all is fine. No need to create another theme.

What's wrong with testing the theme on your current machine? If it loads faster on classic machine it will load faster on recent machines, too.

Did you have feedback from 68k users about the MagicWB_reduced theme ?

No. In fact there is next to no feedback on themes at all.

If you think there is something wrong with YAM's theme handling then create a THEME,IMAGE debug log using the debug version of YAM, open a new ticket and attach the log there. Details about the debug version can be found in the FAQ.

• Message #392

What's wrong with testing the theme on your current machine? If it loads faster on classic machine it will load faster on recent machines, too.

I did. But on X1000, you barely see no speed differences by changing theme whereas on A4000, the default theme was boringly too long to load, using the empty theme (+ status images) made a big improvement in Yam loading speed.

If you think there is something wrong with YAM's theme handling then create a THEME,IMAGE debug log using the debug version of YAM, open a new ticket and attach the log there. Details about the debug version can be found in the FAQ.

Ok. I forget for now to create a new theme, but I'll try with Yam Debug to see what is happening.

• Message #393

I found the solution. It was indeed path related.

I spotted it after downloading the last nightly built of Yam Debug. I saw a Resources dir, and no Themes dir.

In my Yam directory, there is both Resources and Themes directories, but the 2 icons share the same snapshot place; so I didn't paid attention to the Resources one. I continued to modify files in the Themes dir, not the Resources/Themes embedded dir.

My guess is that the Yam version that comes with OS4.1up6 (Yam 2.7 ?) still used the Themes path, and after upgrading to Yam 2.8p1, the Themes dir is not deleted and is hidding the new Resources dir.

Anyway, my problem is now solved.

I've built a new "minimal" theme. Feel free to add it to the Yam distribution if you find it any usefull.

• Message #394

Uploaded a variant of the minimal theme: minimal_reduced.

Status images are 1 pixel smaller and use 16 colors instead of 32.

Attachments

No attachments created.