YAM - Yet Another Mailer (#2) - Problems with Mail-Followup and Mail-Reply-To: (#104) - Message List

Problems with Mail-Followup and Mail-Reply-To:
 unsolved

These headers were introduced with 2,8 I believe and are added to mails sent via the mailing list support.

It has resulted in two issues:

Firstly: frequently people reply to me direct when they intended to reply to the mailing list, I'm posting to. As far as I can tell they are simply replying to the mail, so at some level the Mail-Reply-To: must be overriding the list set Reply-To:

There doesn't seem to be anyway for me to control these headers, either to suppress them or to modify their content.

Ideally I would suppress the Mail-Reply-To: as I generally always expect ,mailing list replies to go to list.

Secondly:

When I receive a mail with the Mail-Reply-To: and try to reply to it, my reply will always go to the Mail-Reply-To: and not the lists Reply-To: address (this assumes I've switched off mailing list support for the mail dir in question).

A 'normal' mail from a mailing list ie one without the Mail-Reply-To: shows a requester witha From / replyTo choice. No requester is offered if Mail-Reply-To: is present. I'm not aware of any "followup" rather than reply option in Yam, so this seems like a bug to me. (I can transfer it to the bug tracker if you agree).

Tree View Flat View (newer first) Flat View (older first)
  • Message #383

Thanks for the link, I had allready read the proposl linked to, to find what these headers were about before posting

I was looking for an associated RFC but that was all I could find on a quick search.

He seems to be proposing a solution to an issue that doesn't exist ie that the OP of an email sent to a mailing list gets two copies. I wont say it doesn't happen but it's usuallu solved by omiting the Reply-To: header if the address would be the same as the From: address, perhaps he doeb't have access to apowerful email client like YAM :-)

The problem it causes me, is that I end up with a reply and the list doesn't which is not what is wanted 95% of the time.

It happens with on two mailing list whoch I have currently active both closed beta lists.

I set them up in YAM buit filtering incoming mails to a specific folder then enabling mailing list support on them.

Here the typical settings for one with the projectname replaced for security as this list is not closed (paranoid me?) :

Pattern: #?project_beta@freelists.or#?
    destination: project_beta@freelists.org
    Sender address: project@broad.ology.org.uk
    Reply-To: blank

Before upgrading to 2.8 Sender was an email address, now it's a profile.

Here are the headers in a typical mail:

AS when sent:

X-YAM-Options: signature=7d979584,identity=09d81c7f,security=none
    To: project_beta@freelists.org
    Mail-Reply-To: Andy Broad <project@broad.ology.org.uk>
    Mail-Followup-To: project_beta@freelists.org
    Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 02:32:00 +0100
    Message-ID: <4272ee2023.b706360@smtp.broad.ology.org.uk>
    User-Agent: YAM/2.8 (AmigaOS4; PPC; rv:20121224r6476)
    Subject: xml syntax files
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain

In the mail I recieve from the list: (and presumably what others reply to)

To: project_beta@freelists.org
    Mail-Reply-To: Andy Broad <project@broad.ology.org.uk>
    Mail-Followup-To: project_beta@freelists.org
    Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 02:32:00 +0100
    Message-ID: <4272ee2023.b706360@smtp.broad.ology.org.uk>
    User-Agent: YAM/2.8 (AmigaOS4; PPC; rv:20121224r6476)
    Subject: [project_beta] xml syntax files
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain
    X-archive-position: 772
    X-ecartis-version: Ecartis v1.0.0
    Sender: project_beta-bounce@freelists.org
    Errors-to: project_beta-bounce@freelists.org
    X-original-sender: project@broad.ology.org.uk
    Precedence: normal
    Reply-To: project_beta@freelists.org
    List-help: <mailto:ecartis@freelists.org?Subject=help>
    List-unsubscribe: <project_beta-request@freelists.org?Subject=unsubscribe>
    List-software: Ecartis version 1.0.0
    List-Id: project_beta <project_beta.freelists.org>
    X-List-ID: project_beta <project_beta.freelists.org>
    List-subscribe: <project_beta-request@freelists.org?Subject=subscribe>
    List-owner: <mailto:lists@project.co.uk>
    List-post: <mailto:project_beta@freelists.org>
    List-archive: <http://www.freelists.org/archives/project_beta>
    X-list: project_beta

So that's the set up. The presence of these extra headers causes some email client s to reply direct to me rather than to the list so it would useful to be able to switch them off, so as to be compatable with older clients /mailing setups etc.

The clients are obviously following the

Mail-Reply-To: / Reply-To: / From heirarchy as described in the document you linked to.

As regards YAM when I switch off mailing list support so that the To: address of the new mail is no lonmger set by those options and try to reply the mail the same issue occurs my new mail is created with the address from the Mail-Reply-To:

In contrast to the case where there is a Reply-To: and From: that differ when there is a Mail-Reply-To: Replty-To: and from: I get no requester to make a choice.

Hope that was enough info to understand what I was trying to explain

• Message #382

I'm not aware of any "followup" rather than reply option in Yam, so this seems like a bug to me. (I can transfer it to the bug tracker if you agree).

Well, first of all I would suggest the following website as a general reference about these quite new headers:

http://www.leptonite.org/mft/

There you would find some quite verbose information on the general purpose of these header files. Nevertheless, to identify if there is really a missbehaviour in how YAM is using/creating these header files we would requite a much more verbose step-by-step explaination on what exactly is happening on your end. Which mailing list are you talking about? How did you setup the mailing list support of the folder where you put these mails into and how are the Mail-Reply-To and Mail-Followup-To headers are actually set when you use YAM? We really need to get here some examples to better understand and able to track what is happening and if this is really a missbhaviour in how YAM is using the headers or perhaps just a missconfiguration on your end.

Tree View Flat View (newer first) Flat View (older first)

Attachments

No attachments created.