Locale Translations (#7) - Online doc : 2 consecutive macros (#113) - Message List

Online doc : 2 consecutive macros
 unsolved

@Damato

Having 2 macros on the same line (or on 2 lines) make the first macros not to be interpreted anymore.

For example, on the Arexx API page, the line:

[[TranslatedPages]][[TOC(depth=1)]]

makes the TranslatedPages macro not to be executed, but it appears as a "Translated pages?" dead link on the rendered page.

The workaround I found for this problem is to add a double / (line feed) between the two macros.

You removed several //, making many pages starting with a "TranslatedPages?" instead of the list of available languages.

Thanks however for the ARexx function list (macro); looks better.

Tree View Flat View (newer first) Flat View (older first)
  • Message #420

Hi,

Having 2 macros on the same line (or on 2 lines) make the first macros not to be interpreted anymore.

makes the TranslatedPages macro not to be executed, but it appears as a "Translated pages?" dead link on the rendered page.

The workaround I found for this problem is to add a double / (line feed) between the two macros.

You removed several //, making many pages starting with a "TranslatedPages?" instead of the list of available languages.

Actually it doesn't seem to be *that* easy. First of all the location of the macro should not be relevant. And secondly it seems that actually this is the case since the macros sometimes works for these pages and not for others. In fact, I have the suspicion that the main reason behind the problem with seeing sometimes "TranslatedPages?" is that the trac plugin in question sometime crashes and then all pages with the TranslatedPages macro stop working correctly. But then at a certain point the plugin is back and the translation will be shown again. I dunno where this comes from. I will have to investigate the reason for this. Unfortunately there isn't any error message in any trac log file. But it really seems that this issue has nothing to do how the TranslatedPages macro is used.

Thanks however for the ARexx function list (macro); looks better.

Thanks. This was definitely overdue and I when I decided to rework these pages I thought it would be good to let them not look better but also use a simpler syntax (which is the case now). In addition, styling these pages was also meant as a preparation for the new muidev.de homepage where I am going to also put the whole MUI API documentation up in a similar way any time soon.

regards, jens

• Message #421

Actually it doesn't seem to be *that* easy. First of all the location of the macro should not be relevant. And secondly it seems that actually this is the case since the macros sometimes works for these pages and not for others. In fact, I have the suspicion that the main reason behind the problem with seeing sometimes "TranslatedPages?" is that the trac plugin in question sometime crashes and then all pages with the TranslatedPages macro stop working correctly. But then at a certain point the plugin is back and the translation will be shown again. I dunno where this comes from. I will have to investigate the reason for this. Unfortunately there isn't any error message in any trac log file. But it really seems that this issue has nothing to do how the TranslatedPages macro is used.

Ok, after some more investigation I think I have found the problem why sometimes the TranslatedPages macro wasn't working and completely disabled for all sites. The reason have been a misconfiguration of trac which should be fixed now. So please monitor the situation and report back as soon as you find that the TranslatedPages macro is not working again.

• Message #422

Ok, after some more investigation I think I have found the problem why sometimes the TranslatedPages macro wasn't working and completely disabled for all sites. The reason have been a misconfiguration of trac which should be fixed now. So please monitor the situation and report back as soon as you find that the TranslatedPages macro is not working again.

Ok, from what I've seen, [[TranslatedPages]] works again.

Another problem is when you use automatic anchor links (the one created with [[TOC(depth=1)]] from titles and sub-titles), translators have to take care to change the anchor reflecting the new translated titles (and sub-titles).

An anchor like "#AlphabeticalFunctionList" will not work as is if the translated pages have a title like "Liste de fonctions alphabétique". That why I have created (pre) empty anchors like "#Fixxxxxxxxx" which does not need to be translated.

Othewise this has to be explained to the Localization page too.

• Message #423

Ok, from what I've seen, [[TranslatedPages]] works again.

Good to hear!

Another problem is when you use automatic anchor links (the one created with [[TOC(depth=1)]] from titles and sub-titles), translators have to take care to change the anchor reflecting the new translated titles (and sub-titles).

An anchor like "#AlphabeticalFunctionList" will not work as is if the translated pages have a title like "Liste de fonctions alphabétique". That why I have created (pre) empty anchors like "#Fixxxxxxxxx" which does not need to be translated.

Yes, that's right. Automatic Anchors cannot be used together with TranslatedPages as otherwise the anchor will address the wrong part. However, you can (like you do) generate manual anchors. That's fine. But I would not call them #FixXXXXX but give them a sensible name.

Othewise this has to be explained to the Localization page too.

Definitly. It should be clearly explained that such anchors shouldn't be translated but kept in all translated versions of the page. Good finding!

Tree View Flat View (newer first) Flat View (older first)

Attachments

No attachments created.