General (#1) - YAM 2.6 released! (#2) - Message List
The YAM (Yet Another Mailer) open source development team is pleased to announce the immediate release of its stable 2.6 version. After more than 2 years of constant, restless development, the 2.6 version is the currently most stable and most advanced version of the famous Amiga e-mail suite.
For the first time ever YAM is not only available for the well known Amiga (and alike) plattform, but also for 3 different flavours of the AROS plattform.
Here is a brief list of the most important changes since the 2.5 release:
- updated translations for czech, french, german, greek, italian and swedish language.
- updated default theme images by Martin 'Mason' Merz.
- added import and export functions for alien address books (i.e. XML files as used by SimpleMail).
- AmigaOS4.1's new notification system will can used to inform the user about new received mails.
- improved handling of header lines in general and especially malformed header lines by certain Microsoft software.
- improved download and export speed of mails by optimizing the amount of data shown on the screen. Overall the speed increased about 200%.
- improved the spam handling by treating the user's address book as a white list.
- rewritten RFC 2047 and RFC 2822 routines to match the current RFC recommendations.
- individual character sets can now be configured for reading and writing mails instead of having one character set for all actions.
- improved ARexx command handling and extended command set.
- all error messages which occured during a mail transfer now include the account name to make it easier to spot the faulty account in case a user has more than one account at the same provider.
- mail attachments are displayed as a scrollable virtual group to be able to show an unlimited number of files.
- all balance object use the new NBalance.mcc class which supports custom mouse pointers.
- foreign characters with a mail may be converted to either "?" or similar look alike characters.
- reduced overall stack usage by using dynamically allocated memory when needed.
- the text font and style can be configured independently for reading and writing mails.
- the spam training data can be optimized to keep the data base small by removing very rarely used word.
- made the date scanning of birthdays locale aware.
- added various AROS versions (i386, ppc, x86_64).
- added NOSPLASHWINDOW tooltype to start/quit YAM silently.
- on AmigaOS4.1 the new URL: device will be preferred over openurl.library to invoke a browser.
- lots of other improvement we don't remember right now (keep in mind: more than 2 years of development was put into YAM 2.6!)
Therefore, we are indeed very happy to supply you this stable 2.6 release.
Enjoy the 2.6 version and happy yamming...
Your YAM Open Source Team