← Previous Change
side by side
lines around each change
Show the changes in full context
White space changes
Apr 19, 2014 2:59:44 PM (
Better have default English doc than no doc at all
[[TranslatedPages(revision=25,outdated:This page is not yet translated. Any help is welcome.)]]
= The Yet Another Mailer (YAM) User Guide =
//This page is meant to serve as a starting point for all documentation regarding YAM usage. The guide is a free document, a collaborative effort, and a part of the [http://yam.ch YAM Project] itself.
If you want to help by translating the documentation, please check the [[wiki:Localization#HowTotranslatetheonlinedocumentation|Localization]] page.//
YAM (Yet Another Mailer) is a MIME-compliant open-source Internet email client written for AmigaOS-based computer systems that lets you send and receive electronic mail over the Internet and maintain archives of messages in your computer.
Back in 1995 the original author [http://www.mbeck.ch/ Marcel Beck] started the development of YAM and released the first version. While this first version (v1) was still very limited in its features the successor version (v2) introduced much more advanced features so that the 2.2 version was rated as the best Email client for Amiga computers back in 1998. This was probably also because YAM has been a freeware product right from the start, allowing Amiga users to travel into the great world of emails with a product they not have to spent money on.
Then in late 2000 Marcel left the Amiga development but luckily decided to release the source code of YAM under the [[wiki:Documentation/User license|GPL open source license]]. This allowed to find a group of developers working on the further development of YAM. Already one year later the open-source developer crew released the 2.3 version showing the Amiga community that the development of YAM hasn't stopped at all.
And now, after even more years the development of YAM has advanced some more and is now aiming to bring up YAM to a level where it is compareable to other mail clients like Thunderbird. Of course we still have a long way to go, but with the help of you and the Amiga community we can make this vision reality.
== User Guide
* [[wiki:Documentation/What is e-mail|What is e-mail?]] – Introduction to electronic mail
* [[wiki:Documentation/User license|User license]] — License information under which YAM is distributed.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Features|Features]] – Feature list
* [[wiki:Documentation/Requirements|Requirements]] — System requirements and software needed.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Installation|Installation]] — Installing YAM on your system.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Quickstart|Quickstart]] — Getting started with YAM in 5 minutes.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Credits|Credits]] — Who participated on the development of YAM.
* Using YAM
* [[wiki:Documentation/Configuration|Configuration]] — Configuring YAM to suit your own needs.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Windows/Mainwindow|Main window]] — The main window used by YAM.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Windows/Writewindow|Write window]] — Writing e-mail messages.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Windows/Readwindow|Read window]] — Reading e-mail messages.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Windows/Foldersettings|Folder settings]] — Editing a folder.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Windows/Addressbook|Addressbook]] — Saving useful addresses.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Windows/Mailtransfers|Mail transfers]] — Previewing your mailbox.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Windows/Searchwindow|Search window]] — Finding a particular message.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Windows/Userswindow|Multiple users]] — Defining multiple users.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Menus|Menus]] — All menu entries.
* Tuning YAM
* [[wiki:Documentation/Tooltypes| Startup options]] — Tooltypes and command line arguments.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Pattern matching| Pattern matching]] — Searching and filtering e-mails.
* [[wiki:Documentation/Tips & tricks|Tips & tricks]] — Some useful hints.
== Developer Guide
* [[wiki:Documentation/Reference|Reference]] — File formats, Internals, etc.
* [[wiki:Documentation/ARexxAPI|ARexx API]] — ARexx Development Reference
== Support and Other Sources of Information ==
* [[wiki:FAQ|YAM FAQ]] — A collection of Frequently Asked Questions.
* [[/discussion|Discussion]] – Discussion forum to ask questions.
* [[/newticket|Bug Report]] – For reporting problems and requesting new features.
If you are looking for a good place to ask a question about YAM, look no further than the [wiki:MailingLists MailingLists]. It provides a friendly environment to discuss openly among Trac users and developers. Furthermore, this website is also hosting an [[http://forum.yam.ch/|online forum]] in which you can discuss your problems after having registered a user name.
(C) 2000-2014 YAM Open Source Team